As part of the bug fixes for the 3.4 release we fixed issue #1725 which was surprisingly difficult to fix… As part of that fix we also added a new method to
TextArea by the name of
setActAsLabel which we now implicitly call in the
So why do we need that and why not just use the text area as it is?
There are two basic challenges in multiline strings, the first is related to the way layout managers work. Layout managers set the X/Y/Size of the components dynamically based on available space. This seems simple enough until we get into the notion of nesting & changes.
E.g. if I have a layout manager on the
Form it knows that it can has the width/height of the screen to place components so it can arrange them based on that constraint. However, when nesting starts things start to get tricky…
A child container needs its parent to allocate space for it before it knows the amount of available space. But here lies the paradox, how much space does it need?
For that we have the preferred size, in the case of an image this is trivial: "the image size". In case of a
Label this is trivial: "the string width". In the case of multi-line this is hard!
Preferred size for multi-line text depends on the size we are given. E.g. if we have enough width available we won’t need to break another line but if we don’t then we’d want more height. The problem is that we decide on the space before layout is done so we don’t know the available space yet. This is called "reflow", we ask for a specific amount of space and have to "reflow" to fit what is given us.
Browsers handle reflow accurately which is a major reason for their slow performance as reflow is pretty expensive since we have to recursively re-allocate space based on parents siblings etc.
Codename One expects you to explicitly reflow using
animateLayout(int) if you change the layout after it is shown.
| || Don’t invoke |
revalidate() on UI that isn’t shown, it’s redundant and an expensive operation!
Deciding where a line of text should break is one of the most delicate tasks in terms of performance!
String Width is Slow
So up to here we understood how hard it is to do layout properly… But the kicker is that just calling an API like
stringWidth in pretty much every platform on earth is surprisingly slow…
To be fair this isn’t "horribly" slow but if you invoke the code as many times as you need to it becomes a problem. The complexity of font rendering is tremendous and while we do cache a lot of values related to text width in the various implementations it is challenging since this varies a lot based on font, size and content.
E.g. say I want to render the phrase: "Mary had a little lamb" over multiple lines. A stupid algorithm would do something like checking the width of "M" then of "Ma" and "Mar" etc.
A slightly smarter algorithm would have a simple optimization to check if "Mary had a little lamb" fits in the space available and go backwards but that might be an advantage for only some of the cases.
We have a lot of optimizations to deal with those computational complexities and they mostly hide that issue while providing some benefits but also some penalties.
"Faking" Preferred Width
TextArea effectively fakes preferred width.
This isn’t a bad thing as normally we want the text area to take up a decent amount of space and not necessarily the real amount it needs. So when we construct a text component in Codename One we usually give it the number of columns/rows and these are used to indicate the correct preferred size value that is later used for calculations.
This isn’t what we want for
SpanLabel. We’d like it to have the actual preferred size based on it’s text.
setActAsLabel does exactly that, provides the size based on
stringWidth and it tries to ignore the row/column values when the text just occupies one line.
Normally all of the information above shouldn’t matter to you in your day to day programming tasks, however if you run into issues such as line breaks in multi-line text areas this should give you a general understanding of the complexities involved.