I've recently noticed that distribution build sizes were identical for appstore and debug builds which wasn't the case before the xcode 7.x migration we did a while back. This shouldn't be the case as it indicates that the standard debug builds include both the 64bit and 32bit code which is redundant during debugging.Read More
Unlike last week this has mostly been a calm week with the exception of some downtime we had on the certificate wizard (Apple tightened TLS access) there was hardly anything major going on. We are focusing a lot of our efforts on refining our offering on all fronts e.g. better demos, themes, docs, compatibility and tools.Read More
I explained why we don't support the full Java API (and the difficulties involved) not so long ago. The logic behind this is solid. However, the utility of porting existing Java code to Codename One is also with a lot of merit.Read More
The SQL demo has been on my "todo" list for months. It's really hard to create a compelling demo for something as boring (by design) as SQL so this was a big procrastination target. After we built the SQL explorer tool for the developer guide it became apparent to me that this could be the basis for the new SQL demo, just provide the ability to type in arbitrary SQL and see it work...Read More
In the previous template post I introduced a material design inspired theme. This time the theme I chose is simpler "cleaner" but not necessarily easier to integrate. I've had quite a few difficulties wrestling with Photoshop oddities (bugs?) that made this template painful, hopefully I've narrowed down the process enough so this should become easier.Read More
We previously discussed the problems with List and somewhat neglected
ComboBox which is a subclass of
ComboBox has the dubious "honor" of deriving most of the problems
List has and adding a slew of its own problems such as two separate renderers, different behaviors between OS's etc.
This has been a REALLY busy week. We had to release an emergency plugin update during the week to workaround a critical issue in the previous plugin update. This was pretty hard!
To make things extra difficult we had two huge blog posts that I've worked on launching, the code itself wasn't such a big deal as is all the hassle around them e.g. appstore submissions are never fun especially when traveling...
There was much left unsaid about the template UI that I did earlier in the week. It was doable and reasonably easy but I still had some pitfalls. I was able to circumvent them easily but I'm not so sure these would have been easy for other developers out there. As a result we decided to simplify some use cases in Codename One as a result.Read More